VVIBE CHECKING: Why is this show so hard on teenagers? (A rant about Euphoria)

 [Spoiler Alert]

I stopped watching Euphoria in episode four. I am sorry but I won’t be able to write a full review.


I hope Sam Levinson goes to hell and takes this show with him. I am so tired of seeing violence towards girls, 3 girls are abused on this episode and this shit is not ok, to anyone who says that’s how life is: Why???????? Why is life like this, explain to me why it should be seen as normal for a 17 year old girl to have her neck grabbed so hard it leaves a handprint? Why should it be normal to see a girl embarrass herself while she’s high and sad and laugh at her? Why should it be normal for a girl to have her hope of being loved turned into blackmail? It shouldn’t be normal! That is not how teenagers should expect their life to be and not how adults should think teenager’s lives are. Shit like this shouldn’t be on TV and
streaming sites.

I am tired of men writing tragedies about women, go write tragedies about men for all I care just for fuck’s sake someone give me girls who are real, happy rebel girls with a fucking cause, girls worth something other than sex to guys, give me ugly girls, give me smart girls, dumb girls, girls who exist and are not plot devices in boy’s stories, give me angry girls because we have all the right to be angry when stupid little men like these write their creepy little stories about us.

The way this show is a voyeuristic attempt on writing and directing 17 year olds is disgusting, it’s enraging, the scene where a girl who’s high as fuck goes on the carousel and has an orgasm, the way it’s written, the way it’s edited, it reads to me a mean and disgusting voyeuristic fantasy that punishes a girl, who is already heartbroken, with shame, it’s the most unnecessary and disrespectful scene I’ve ever seen; all the people looking at her, most of them men and the boy she is with not doing anything about it and looking at her like that by the end of it, this scene made me want to cry.

Another scene that fucked me up was the one where Jules meets Nate, the way he blackmails her with her own nudes, that she sent out of trust and love because Jules was in love with “Tyler” so not only he broke her trust, imagine being in love with someone only to discover that they are someone you hate and then being blackmailed by them. It's so punishing for a show that tells people in the first episode that nudes are the currency of love. And I have to remind you that these characters are 17, imagine going through deception like that at 17 and not being able to ask anyone for help or, hell, even talk about it.

Yet nothing is more disturbing to me than the beginning of the episode, when they say that by 16, Jules had gotten slutty, it sounds so much like a distorted image someone who wants to fuck a 16 year old would have, but I won’t really comment on it, what fucks me up the most was the way the narrator, Rue, says so casually that Jules would simply dissociate during particularly violent or overly unpleasant sex, that is not normal. No one should have to go through shit like this, no one. It should not be shown as something that can be brushed off by the audience, especially if there can be young people in the audience, that is not what life should be for trans girls.

I am sorry young girls will watch this and see themselves in it because I think the media could be better, I think the media should be better by now and I think it should stop punishing women for being young, for being alive and for being women.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A BIT MORE THAN 365 VVIBES AKA THE ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY

It's around 11pm right now and it just occurred to me that this blog is completed 1 year THIS MONTH!!!!!!! I know I said this was going ...